Self-Care Is key To Success In Your Life.
Most successful people are aware of their needs and are extremely good at creating daily habits/rituals to nourish the mind, body and soul. They are resilient and take time out – an absolute necessity for well-being and to avoid burn-out
A healthy mind is creative and resilient to the demands of the day.
Whilst working from home it would be easy to sit at the desk all day and forget about self- care. The work flows in; it’s a busy week at work. There’s an important meeting you’ve to prepare for, a marketing campaign that you’ve got to get done, loads of paperwork, and your calendar is jam-packed with tasks and events. It piles up, you keep going until its done and the walk you were going to do is missed. The coffee with a friend is cancelled and you sit at your desk eating lots of high carb foods to keep you going
The pressure to keep going and perform gets bigger and we don’t think twice before putting self-care on the back burner. The sad fact is that for some of us it takes a wake-up call to notice the toll this kind of lifestyle takes on our lives.
Insular unhelpful mind activities that whirl around in your head.
Self-care is crucial for our physical, emotional and mental well-being. You shouldn’t neglect self-care and here’s the reasons:
- Know your worth:
Self-care is important to maintain a healthy relationship with yourself as it produces positive feelings and boosts your confidence and self-esteem. Your needs are important- don’t forget it.
- A healthy work-life balance: Overwork, and the accompanying stress and exhaustion can make you less productive, disorganized and emotionally depleted. It can also lead to all sorts of health problems, from anxiety and depression to insomnia and heart diseases. Self-care habits like taking intermittent breaks (for lunch, calling your friend, or taking a walk), setting professional boundaries, avoiding working late, etc. ensures that you stay sharp, motivated and healthy.
- Stress management: While a little dose of stress is a healthy way to give us a nudge that we need to meet the deadlines or finish that overdue task, constant stress and anxiety can have an adverse effect on your mental and physical health. Smart self-care habits like eating healthy, connecting with a loved one or, practicing meditation cuts down the toxic effects of stress by improving your mood and boosting your energy and confidence levels.
- Take responsibility for yourself – Start living, stop existing: Having survived the Covid epidemic you should know by now that life is a precious gift. So why waste it when we have the choice to have a more meaningful existence? There has been a lot of self -reflection over this period so use it wisely to get back in touch with who you are- your UNIQUE SELF. Simple things like an indulgent bath or reading a book are essential for your daily happiness. Taking up a new hobby or learning a new skill can make your life more purposeful by giving you a new reason to get up in the morning.
- Better physical health: Self-care is not just about your mental health. It’s also about caring for your physical self, by eating healthy, taking adequate sleep, caring about your hygiene, exercising regularly, etc.
For me, I find solitude in walking on the beach with my dog.
So here are my ten small, simple self-care habits that anyone can get into:
- Go for a run or a light jog.
- Meditate or do deep breathing for five minutes. Focus on your breath
- Take a break when you need it.
- Choose who you spend time with – be around positive high vibe people and lose the energy drainers zapping your zest for life
- Laugh heartily at least once a day.
- Eat fresh green vegetables daily.
- Avoid emotional eating.
- Start a journal and note down your sucesses
- Learn to say ‘No.’ – don’t be a doormat
- Stop overthinking
So why waste time thinking about it. Start today and be consistant.
It won’t take long before you begin to see the difference!
Small steps but BIG outcomes
This is the start of your new routine of future possibilities and a life that will fill you with joy and be in control of.
Click to join my free “Professionals with Purpose” Group for more discussions and resources
Jane Baker is a Leadership Coach and Career Strategist who uses mindset stretegies to help transform individuals lives.